Who we are
This website (nationalgrideso.com) is operated by National Grid Electricity System Operator Limited ("National Grid", "us" or "we"). For more information about who we are, please see our What we do section.
This website uses a technology called “cookies”. A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier, that is sent to your browser from a website's computers and stored on your computer's hard drive, if your browser settings permit it. This helps National Grid to provide you with a good experience when you browse the National Grid website and also allows us to improve our site.
Changing your preferences and browser settings
If you choose to reject all cookies by changing your preferences or your browser settings, this website and its features may not work in the same way or produce the same personalised experience. As your settings are specific to your device, if you use a different device, computer profile or browser you will have to tell us your preferences again. However, many National Grid online services do not require that you accept cookies.
There are opt-out schemes which allow you to opt-out from receiving targeted advertising from third parties who are members of those schemes:
- Network Advertising Initiative – Please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices
- EDAA – Please visit http://www.youronlinechoices.eu for further information
You can find more information about cookies at: https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/online/cookies/ and https://www.google.co.in/intl/en/policies/technologies/cookies/.
The National Grid website uses the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website.
- Analytical cookies. These allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you and remember your preferences.
When you use this website, cookies are set and accessed by or on behalf of National Grid for a number of purposes, including to:
- access your information when you 'sign in' to a National Grid website, so that we can provide you with customised content;
- identify you as a registered user of this website, so that you are able to use the site for its intended purpose(s) without having to re-enter your information each time you do so;
- keep track of preferences you specify while you are using National Grid's services;
- estimate and report our total audience size and traffic;
- conduct research to improve National Grid's content and services; and/or
- require you to re-enter your National Grid password after a certain period of time has elapsed, to protect you against others accidentally accessing your account contents.
Please see further detail about the exact cookies used on our site here.
National Grid will not (and will not allow any third party to) use the statistical analytics tool to track or collect any personally identifiable information about users of our sites, and will not associate any data gathered by means of the providers’ statistical tool with any personally identifying information. Neither National Grid nor our analytics providers will link, or seek to link, an IP address with the identity of a computer user.
From time to time, we may change this policy. If there is a significant change you will be asked to reconfirm your cookies preferences.
We welcome feedback and are happy to answer any questions you may have about the cookies we use.
If you have any questions, comments or requests for more information, please contact us.